Sunday, August 29, 2010

the verdict on the Challenge

Well, we finished our 21 Dollar Challenge last week. It was almost a success. Although I had tried to clean out our fridge before the start of the challenge week, we still had a few things left that we splurged on the first half of the week. The second half of the week required spending about $20 more to pacify the hungry crowd :) Overall the menu was a success. The lentil soup stretched for 4+ meals (I actually froze 1 meal's worth for another time). The squash soup was a bit expensive for the yield, but it did stretch over a couple meals when I combined it with brown rice. If I were to do it over, I probably would have added some beans to every meal. I think that the hardest part was having such light lunches everyday. Overall I think that it was harder psychologically than anything else because in the past we've gone a week with less than this and been quite satisfied. It is harder when you're choosing a challenge versus being forced into and surviving a one.

The lessons I learned are: a healthy vegan diet is do-able on a tight budget; I need to be spending less money on food per week; no matter who you are or what diet you are following, the food stamp allowance is barely enough. It seems to me that having a few more people in the family (and therefore a bit more money to spend) must be easier than having only $21/week to feed yourself, especially if you're working and probably doing a lot of walking to and from home.

I still haven't posted the price per meal. Maybe I will get to it, but I do know that making a soup is one of the most economical ways to cook food.

Even though we didn't properly succeed in this challenge, I'm glad we gave it a try.

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing how, when choosing to be frugal, we tend to be less capable of actually carrying it out, rather than the times we must and have no other choice and find ourselves more grateful. Maybe someday I will give this a try, but when there is a family who has different needs and expectations when it comes to eating, it very well may be a trial worth avoiding unless necessary. Glad you gave it a go, good for you for trying, which is more than a lot of people might do :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although, may be more possible during a fast...maybe.

    ReplyDelete