Tuesday, August 17, 2010

21 Dollar Challenge--Grocery List

Here's the grocery list to make everything on my menu. I've included my guess of the individual prices of things. Later this week I will go shopping at Vitamin Cottage and see how I did and what I'm actually able to get.

1 lb carrots --($1.25)
1 bunch celery --($1.25)
8 onions (4 yellow, 4 white) --($1.50)
6-8 potatoes (about 3 lbs?) --($3.00)
1 garlic --($0.25)
1 lg head of lettuce, kale or spinach (or 2 small) --($1.50)
5 lb bag of apples --($5.25)
1 bunch bananas --($1.75)
1 zucchini --($1.00)
1 bunch parsley --($1.00)
1 bunch green onions --($1.25)
3 lg squash (6-8 c. worth) --($5.00)
[1 bottle olive oil --$3.00] Will use what I have but am taking the standard $3 off for it.
1 lemon --($0.50)
1 jar peanut butter --($4.00)
sm bag bulk red lentils --($3.00)
sm bag almonds --($6.00)
med bag raisins --($3.00)
bulk oats (14c. or 112 oz) --($5.00)
sm bag brown rice (need at least 3 c.) --($2.00)
1 can black beans --($1.50)
[salt/pepper--$1.00] Will use what I have, but I figure $1/wk buys a cheap thing of salt and pepper.
whole wheat bread --($3.50)
boxed hummus (just takes water) --($2.60)
bulk rooibos tea --($2.00)

Grand Total: $61.10

That only leaves me with a couple dollars for tax, but I'm hoping I over-estimated some of the prices on bulk items and will have a few more bucks to give the government. :)

3 comments:

  1. You can always get the dried beans and it might even cost the same. My guess is that some of the items will shift, but likely even out in the end. I do hope you can find squashes this time of year, I can't say I have seen too many as of yet, at least not the winter squash, only summer, like zucchini. Any, I am looking forward to seeing how this goes for you and I hope you have success right out of the gate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I did get squash but it was fairly pricey for this challenge. I had to just get two instead of three, but I figure A. prefers a more watery soup anyway :) Btw, I ended up spending about $59 including tax, AND I got a couple tomatoes. Score! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Super job! How is it going thus far?

    ReplyDelete